Our Select Red Oak Planks
Hand Cut - Period Style - Wide Red Oak Planks up to 11 in. Wide
These are the clearest planks we offer. Select red oak is characterized by clear grain, very few knots long lengths. (Up to 13 ft long!) Each is cut from kiln dried lumber, hand edged with 18th century tools and finished with hand rubbed oil or stains (See "Our Finishes") and top coats. Planks over 7 inches must be top nailed with the colonial rosehead nails or fastened with screws & plugs. We offer two size ranges that offer different characteristics and prices.
Best Value - 6, 7, & 8 in. Tongue & Groove Planks
Our biggest seller in wide Red Oak planks!
A mix of 6,7 & 8 inch wide planks in long lengths (Actual face widths are: 5.75, 7 & 8.25 inches) is available for those who want big planks at a great price. The colonial rosehead nails are highly recommended for an authentic period style and the tightest fit. (Over 80% of our customers choose to use the nails with these planks.)
Our Largest Planks - 7, 9 & 11 in. Tongue & Groove Planks
These are the widest planks we offer. Actual planks widths are 7", 8.25", & 10.75" with each floor consisting of about 1/3 of each size for a random look. They are cut from premium kiln dried red oak stock, hand edged and hand finished. These . If you like really big planks this is the floor for you!
We strive to deliver a look reminiscent of traditional wide plank floors from the 1700's. In fact, we have installed our flooring in several Bucks County, Pennsylvania homes dating back to 1730 and they fit the decor perfectly.
Hand Finished! Virtually all of our planks are sold pre-finished. (See "Our Finishes") Whether it is our European natural oil or a stained and oiled finish, every coat is hand applied and hand rubbed to achieve a patina that can't be matched by high speed spraying equipment. The Proof! Look on the back of our finished planks (and samples) and you will see our hand prints.
We hand cut the edges as they did over 250 years ago!
100% Made in Pennsylvania Every hand cut wide plank goes through 10 woodworking steps, some using traditional hand tools. We match every plank against a master plank to check for fit, edging and straightness so you can be sure the planks will fit together perfectly. We add just enough distressing and we pay attention to details like matching custom thresholds and authentic 18th century style nails color-matched to the floor.
Features of Our Select Red Oak Planks
- Lengths up to 13 feet, average about 9 feet
- These planks will be almost free of knots, saw kerfs, sap lines etc.
- Hand Crafted and Hand Finished
- Hand Cut, Live or Squared and Softened Edges and Ends
- Selective distressing
- Tongue & Groove Joints
- Planks are 3/4 inch thick red oak kiln dried to 8% or less
- Actual widths can vary + or - 1/4 inch depending on stock available. The difference isn't noticeable and the production quantity is adjusted to make sure you receive the total square footage you purchased.
- All top edges are hand cut using spoke shaves, draw knives, files and rasps just as they did 250 years ago. We can selectively distress the planks depending on customer preferences. The best instruction I ever heard from a customer re distressing was " Do it until you are ashamed!" We did and they looked great. We used hatchets, saws, chains, grinders, and everything else we could find.
- Squared and Softened edges are available instead of the hand cut edging on 6 inch planks whether you choose to top nail or not.